In 2009, the United States Mint issued four different Lincoln cents in recognition of both the 200th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s birth and the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent, first minted in 1909. The themes on the reverses celebrate four major periods of Lincoln’s life: Birth and Early Childhood in Kentucky (1809-1816), Formative Years in Indiana (1816-1830), Professional Life in Illinois (1830-1861), and Presidency in Washington, D.C. (1861-1865). This special-edition set features each of the 4 coins housed in an airtight capsule and presented in a luxurious, plush-lined wood box with embossed metallic gold lettering, piano-black finish, and certificate of authenticity. The coins are unconditionally guaranteed to be genuine and will match the exceptional mint-state quality of the ones shown. If you are interested in building a collection, consider adding other great selections from the American Classics Series to compliment your purchase, including A Century of the Lincoln Cent Coin Collection.
Abraham Lincoln became the first President to be depicted on a circulating coin with the introduction of the Lincoln cent on the 100th anniversary of his birth in 1909. In 2009, the U.S. Mint issued four different Lincoln cents in recognition of both the 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth and the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent. The themes on the reverses celebrate four major periods of Lincoln's life: Birth and Early Childhood in Kentucky (1809-1816), Formative Years in Indiana (1816-1830), Professional Life in Illinois (1830-1861), and Presidency in Washington, D.C. (1861-1865). Since 2010, the reverse has featured a depiction of the Union Shield, emblematic of Lincoln's preservation of the United States as a single and unified country. Production of the Lincoln cent continues to this day, making it the longest-running coin design in U.S. history.
- Type: Lincoln Cent
- Variety: Bicentennial (2009)
- Obverse Designer: Victor David Brenner
- Weight: 2.5 grams
- Diameter: 19.00 mm
- Composition: 97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper
- Obverse Design: Abraham Lincoln, facing right
- Obverse Inscription: LIBERTY / IN GOD WE TRUST / DATE
- Reverse Inscription: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA / E PLURIBUS UNUM / ONE CENT
- Reverse 1: Birth and Early Childhood in Kentucky
- Designer: Richard Masters / Jim Licaretz
- Reverse Design: Log cabin
- Reverse 2: Formative Years in Indiana
- Designer: Charles Vickers
- Reverse Design: Young Lincoln reading while taking a break from rail splitting
- Reverse 3: Professional Life in Illinois
- Designer: Jole Iskowitz / Don Everhart
- Reverse Design: Lincoln as a young lawyer, standing before the Springfield, Illinois state capital
- Reverse 4: Presidency in Washington, D.C.
- Designer: Susan Gamble / Joseph Menna
- Reverse Design: Half-completed U.S. capital building dome
- 8 x 6 x 2