The minting of Quarter Eagles, or $2.50 Gold Pieces, was authorized by the U.S. Government in 1792. In 1798 all coins began to conform to a policy of featuring 13 stars on each side.
Until 1834 all designs showed Liberty wearing a traditional cap on the obverse and a heraldic eagle on the reverse. This new image, designed by William Kneass, was the first significant design change since the Quarter Eagle was introduced.
It shows Liberty with a ribbon binding her hair in place of the traditional Liberty cap. The word LIBERTY is printed on the ribbon. On the reverse, the familiar motto E PLURIBUS UNUM was removed from above the eagle, leaving an open field.
This $2.50 Gold Piece was produced in Philadelphia, Dahlonega, Georgia and Charlotte, North Carolina from 1834 to 1839. New equipment was installed in the Mint at this time, making these the first mass-produced American Gold pieces.
This replica coin is minted of brass then layered with pure 24k gold.
6 1/2" x 9 1/2" x 1/8" - Brass, Gold, Cardboard