The Walking Liberty Half Dollar is a vintage American coin minted from 1916 to 1947. Today, they are seldom seen in circulation but are cherished by coin collectors and enthusiasts of American history alike. Offered here is a pleasant example hand-selected by professional numismatists after screening thousands of coins for quality and eye-appeal. Each coin is housed in an airtight capsule and presented in a plush-lined box with a display easel, magnetic lid, and certificate of authenticity. The coin is unconditionally guaranteed to be genuine, dated between 1933 and 1947, and will match the quality of the one shown. If you are interested in building a collection, consider adding other great selections from the Icons of American Coinage Series to compliment your purchase.
HISTORY OF THE WALKING LIBERTY HALF DOLLAR
The Walking Liberty half dollar is an enduring classic engraved by Adolph A. Weinman, the designer of the Mercury dime. This graceful coin features Lady Liberty adorned in an American Flag and striding towards the rising sun with her right arm outstretched, carrying branches of laurel and oak. The reverse features a powerful perched eagle with open wings and a branch of Mountain Pine, symbolic of America. The design was exceptionally detailed compared to previous coins, which lead to persistent problems with the sharpness of strike and production quality, accelerating its replacement by the Franklin half dollar in 1948. The lasting beauty of this unique design was immortalized in 1986 when the U.S. Mint chose to adopt the Walking Liberty obverse for the American Silver Eagle bullion coin, which has become one of the most widely distributed silver bullion coins in the world. Today, many of the Walking Liberty half dollar issues are scarce in high grades, and completion of an entire collection of these coins in uncirculated condition remains a formidable challenge for collectors and investors alike.
- Type: Walking Liberty Half Dollar (1916 - 1947)
- Designer: Adolph A. Weinman
- Weight: 12.5 grams
- Diameter: 30.0 mm
- Composition: 0.900 silver, 0.100 copper
- Net silver weight: 0.36169 oz pure silver
- Obverse Design: Liberty wearing an American flag dress with an outstretched arm and carrying branches of laurel and oak / Mountain with the rising sun in the distance
- Obverse Inscription: LIBERTY / IN GOD WE TRUST / DATE
- Reverse Design: Perched eagle with open wings carrying a branch of Mountain Pine
- Reverse Inscription: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA / E PLURIBUS UNUM / HALF DOLLAR
- 3 x 3 x 1